Monday, February 26, 2007

flesh and spirit

Lent Day 6

Matt 26:33 Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." NIV

When you are a lover of Christ, you are not put off by demonic threats, political pressure, or even the prospect of death. Your devotion is strong. YOU will follow Jesus. YOU will go where ever the Master dictates. YOU will be faithful! Or at least that is what your heart says.

But the reality is determined not by fleshly determination but by our spiritual strength. We tend to make sweeping predictions of spiritual grandeur because we think that by those spoken declarations we accomplish something. But we merely reveal our lack of awareness of our true spiritual state. We are weak. We are but flesh. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
Peter's fleshly declaration of devotion is weakened by his human limitations.

How often have I made powerful declarations of love and adoration? How often have I failed him? Too often. God make me aware of my accute need of your spiritual empowerment to live this life of Spiritual devotion.

1 comment:

Paul M. Harrison said...

My friend Aaron, when asked if he is a Christian, says, "I don't know, I hope so. I hate to make these big claims as to how faitful I am." He is more secure in his understanding that God is faithful to him.