Friday, May 04, 2007

Importance of Impartation

2 Tim 1:6-7
...an into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
NIV

This verse clearly implies that there is an impartation that takes place when the laying on of hands occurs in Biblical fashion. I know all the reasons why we in charismatic and pentecostal circles are reluctant to admit this. We fear that we will create some form of personality cult or that there is the danger of men and women thinking that we are the dispensers of power rather than vessels the Lord choses to work through. But clearly there is more at stake here than a simple ordination service. There is the expectation that Timothy was different after Paul laid his hands upon him and dispensed the gift of God...

If there was no such thing as impartation it would sure take the heat off of us.it would demand less of us because we wouldn't need to be as "holy" for God to work through us. But the reality is there is no evidence that God moves through purposefully impure vessels. I can't even find an OT sacrifice to cover willful sins! When we sin willfully we are completely without resource and recourse except to throw ourselves on the mercy of God. Certainly, I recognize that my heart is a dark and scary place. I see the hidden sins lurking in the recesses of my mind. I witness the abandonment with which I occassionally chase after sin. Only to be disappointed and shamed and to return to God with a new lesson in humility. But God choses to work through some people. I am not speaking of oratorical skills or administrative gifts... I am speaking of purity of heart.

I tire of the excuses for our impurity, for our lack of the miraculous, for the lukewarm spirit. The Lord is looking for persons who have the full package. Knowledge, zeal, humility, and purity of spirit. As our hearts become more fully engaged in the things of this Kingdom, we will see greater and greater moves of God.

Ps 19:12-14
Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
NIV

No comments: