Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Lazy Servants? or Worker bees

1 Thess 1:2-3
2 We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. 3 We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
NIV

People need to work. It fulfills them. Even before the fall Adam had to work in the garden. Work is a good thing. I know that might be a tough sell to some who are hoping the government will pick up the tab for all their bills but it is true.

All of these three thanksgivings of Paul for the Thessalonican church were for their works. This great proponent of faith recognizes that faith, hope and love all demonstrate themselves in this world by work. From the sounds of it, it was hard work. It required endurance that prompted others to awe. This is what the church needs these days. Laborers that labor. Where are the men and women who are willing to do the work?

Connecting with people is difficult and exhausting. But caring is what we are called to do. When will we get beyond the sense of self aggrandizement or granting immunity to our fleshly laziness and strap on the work of Christ. If we will partner in this great work we will find his reward the most fulfilling thing we have ever experienced. As I continue in the ministry I grow more and more weary of the things that we do to busy ourselves. Instead I look for interaction with individuals that are missing out on connections with my savior. This is our work. Let us labor together.

John 4:34-38
34 "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. 35 Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. 36 Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. 37 Thus the saying 'One sows and another reaps' is true. 38 I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor."
NIV

1 comment:

alexito said...

Work is amazing!

If we're willing to serve people that God wants us to love, and we can truthfully admit we don't really care about THOSE people -

(e.g. I can't stand my boss, Ms you-know-who irritates me, I have a problem with Islamic fundamentalists, and come on, who acts like they really care about Berwyn)

- then God shows up and changes our heart because we're honest and willing to go.

Who wants to be unemployed?