Monday, March 17, 2008

The Sign Post of Love


John 13:33-35
33 "My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
NIV

It is tempting, when we disagree with so much that is going on around us to be anti-everything. Certain preachers seem to relish the negativity that they stir up with dogmatic assertions on trivial matters, hard stands on weak points, and simple bullheadedness. After several decades in ministry I have come to this conclusion- you can't yell loud enough to wake those sleeping in conplacency. neither can you argue anyone into the kingdom of God- God has a better way.

It is a life of love. I know, it isn't very mindboggling. It is simply the way Jesus lived. And he calls those who claim followership of him to walk in that way. It is too bad we write it off so easily- this living like Jesus! he wants us to love one another and so demonstate the changed nature of our lives. No demanding first place, no bowing to the demands of ego and flesh, no insistance that we are right- just love. "...All men will know that ou are my disciples..." becuase it is that different than everything in the world!

Love covers sin. Love suffers long. Love never gives up. Love believes the best. Love rejoices in truth. Love is the motivation of faith. Love is the manifestation of faith. Love is the purpose, the source, the grace, the truth. It is what we are called up to.

God for give us the laziness that lets us do it our own way. Rather, these days as we meditate upon your heart of love- that pushed you to the cross- let us contemplate the manner that we may be loving others. Show my hands how to love, my voice how to speak word of love, my eyes to see what love sees and to ignore what love despises.

May we have words that cover sin, build up, are willing to believe the best and suffer alongside. Positive words of love- that so infect our soul- that we incidentally point to Jesus in everything we do!

No comments: