If we are to begin a time of prayer and repentance for our country (per Joel 2.15) then we must list the sins of our nation.
1. Adultery and fornication: It has been reported that fifty to sixty percent of married couples admit to adultery. The rapid spread of Sexually Transmitted diseases is astonishing and terrifying!(5% of Americans have an STD and 63% are younger than 25)
2. Rape: A Harris poll sets the figure at 380,000 rapes or sexual assaults that took place back in 1993. The Justice Department says that eight percent of all American women will be victims of rape or attempted rape in their lifetime.
3. Pornography: Every second - $3,075.64 is being spent on pornography
4. Abortion: Fifty-two percent of U.S. women obtaining abortions are younger than 25: Women aged 20-24 obtain 33 percent of all abortions, and teenagers obtain 19 percent. 1.29 million abortions were performed last year.
5. Theft: It is estimated theft costs the country $500 billion each year.
6. Greed: Focus on the Family revealed that Americans now visit casinos more often than they attend professional sporting events. Collectively, they lose in excess of $50 billion each year to lotteries, horse and dog tracks, casinos, and the various other gambling venues.
7. Rebellion: against authority- irrespective of its source.
8. Murder: 16,500 murders in 2006 in the US
9. Gluttony: One billion people in the world do not have access to clean water, while the average American uses four hundred to six hundred liters of water a day.
Every seven seconds, somewhere in the world a child under age five dies of hunger, while Americans throw away 14 percent of the food we purchase. Americans spend more annually on trash bags than nearly half of the world does on all goods
10: Drunkenness: Billions are spent on the societal effects of misuse of alcohol.
11. Hypocrisy: The Barna Research Group found that sixty-two percent of Americans profess to be Christians, while the book, The Day America Told the Truth said that ninety-one percent lie regularly.
That is a start anyway!