Friday, March 02, 2007

Coming to the Garden Alone

Lent day 10

If we are focusing on the cross during this season we would do well to look at Jesus in Gethsemane. Here he is wrestling with the greatest decision of his life... to pursue God's will. After serving the Lord these many decades I am more convinced than ever before that the most difficult decisions are the ones where our will comes in direct conflict with the revealed plan of God.

Sometimes in his guidance God leaves some figuring out for us. There is certain spiritual growth in apprehending the will of God for our lives. We apply our acquired Biblical knowledge, we postulate the possibilities, and pray for direction... listening. Think of all we would miss if God sent us a post card with our future directions on it!

But there are moments, usually crucial moments, in our life that we know God's will. It may have come to us in an inspired impression during prayer, or through a confirming word from a friend ( or a stranger), it may be clearly spoken direction from those in authority over us, or revealed by a prophetic brother or sister- when it is that important we know what the will of God is! Perhaps God is gracious to Jesus here in the garden because he recognizes that he is asking him to do what no other has ever done. The nobility of the act is as great as the conflict in his soul.- Not my will but yours.

There is something to learn there too. The lesson of submission. Heb 5.7-8 must refer to this time. "During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offeredup prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered..."

Whenever our will is directly in contrast with His, when his wisdom conflicts with our desire, when his direction is unappreciated by our flesh... then, I know that I am about to learn a spiritual life lesson. If only I could submit....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That stretch of faith and submission is what God has been trying to show me over the past few years. I have seen the visions and God has given me a glimpse, but he knows that the hardest thing for me to give up is that "control"...finally I have learned to submit with a pure heart, that is until my fleshly spirit takes over and I want to grab the reigns back from God. The fantastic thing is that God always allows me to come on back and submit again. Sometimes I imagin HIM shaking his head and laughing at me. I really enjoy your comments with each day of Lent. Keep up the good work...I love your blog and your writing is excellent!