Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Who could stand?

Lent Day 14

Psalm 130.3-5 If you, O Lord kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with your there is forgiveness; therefore you are to be feared. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.

Not me. I couldn't stand - and neither could you. God knew our weakness, or frailty, or shallowness, and our lust for the unclean- and he sent his Son. The Psalmist knew that there wasn't a single person worthy to be "God's chosen". He saw clearly- we stand by grace. When we get disoriented by the pulses of the world, we must turn to the Word of God and put our hope there.

In spite of what I may have expereinced, or what I may think of myself, I read in those hope impregnated pages that I am loved (He calls me his Beloved), I am chosen (by his great mercy) and I am empowered (by his Spirit). It is no wonder that we "are what we are by the grace of God"

Who could stand... we could if we only knew how much he loved us!

No comments: